Skip to main content

How useful are mnemonics?

 A mnemonic is a memory aid — a hook, a technique, phrase, pattern, image, or acronym that helps you remember information more easily. Language teachers usually think of them as acronyms. Ones I learned at school were DOGWUF in German (to remember prepositions which take the accusative case) and MRS DAVENTRAMP (for remembering French verbs which use être as their auxiliary in the perfect gense).

Here are some others you may know or like. Many of these were shared by teachers on Facebook when I was drafting our book about memory (Memory: What Every Language Teacher Should Know (Smith and Conti, 2021)).

French

French mnemonics

What they refer to

EN for engine

Using en in repositional phrases for motorised means of transport, e.g. en voiture versus à pied

A TV AND MRS PERM

MR DRAPERS MT VAN

MR VAM RRED PANTS

DR PV MASTERMAN

DR VEMS MANTRAP

MR DREAMPANTS

The verbs which take the auxiliary être in the perfect tense (allowing for slight variations of verbs included)

WEDDINGS

Uses of the subjunctive: Will, Emotions, Doubt, Desire, Interrogation, Negation, General characteristics, Superlative

BANGS

BRAGS (R = rank)

Adjectives which precede the noun: Beauty, Age, Number (ordinal), Greatness, Size

CRFL (careful)

Consonants which are most commonly pronounced at the end of words

CROISSANT

Elements to include in a piece of intermediate writing; Connectives, Reasons, Opinions, Infinitive expressions, Subject pronouns ( a range thereof), Star phrases, Adjectives and adverbs, Negatives, Tenses (a range thereof)

AVOCADO

Similar to above, but: Adjectives, Verbs, Opinions, Connectives, Adverbs, Description, Originality

STuPiD

DPSTXZ (dipsticks)

Consonants which are usually not pronounced at the end of words

“A” and “le” will never do, what do you do, you put A-U!

To remind students not write “à le” instead of “au”

me te nous vous, me te nous vous le la les, le la les lui leur, lui, leur y en, y en (to the tune of Frère Jacques)

Order of pronouns

A donkey says y en

Order of pronouns


German

German mnemonics

What they refer to

FUDGEBOW

BE DOG WUF

Prepositions which take the accusative case

BRATWURST

Elements to include in a piece of intermediate writing: Belief (opinion), Reason, Adjectives and adverbs, Tenses, Word order, Umlauts, Range, Structures, Time phrases

RAINCOAT

Similar to above, but Reasons, Adjectives, Intensifiers, Nouns (need capitals), Connective, Opinions, Adverbs (of time, manner, place) and Tenses

Elephants STir Tetley ENglish Tea ENergetically

Present tense regular verb endings

VBZGASMAN (Very Busy Gasman)

Prepositions which take the dative case

WEIL is so vile, the verb runs a mile!

Verbs goes to the end of the clause or sentence

WOW DAD

Subordinating conjunctions: weil, obwohl, wenn, da, als, dass

Tickle Me Pink

Order of adverbs: Time, Manner, Place

I AM a DR

Prepositions which take the accusative involve movement (Accusative Movement), while those which take the dative indicate rest (Dative Rest)

Spanish

Spanish mnemonics

What they refer to

DOCTOR PLACE

When the verbs ser an estar are used

Ser: Date, Occupation, Characteristic, Time, Origin, Relation

Estar: Position, Location, Action, Condition, Emotion

 

CAROLINA

Letters in Spanish which can be doubled, e.g. the “r” in carro or “l” in llave

UWEIRDO

Use of the subjunctive: Uncertainty, Wishes, Emotions, Impersonal expressions, Recommendations and requests, Doubt and denial, Ojalá

Vin Diesel has ten weapons

Irregular imperatives: , ven, di, sal, haz, ten, ve, pon

My Big Dog Poops Under Trees

Qualifiers : muy, bastante, demasiado, poco, un poco, tan

DISHES

Irregular subjunctives : dar, ir, ser, haber, estar, saber



How useful are mnemonics for developing language proficiency? 

Short answer: not very. But they can help students monitor the accuracy of their speech and writing, remember rules of phonics or remind them of elements to include in written assignments. They contribute to students' knowledge of grammar and are fun to use. We might mentally refer to them when speaking too. I would say say that help with what Krashen calls learning, rather than acquisition. Namely, the declarative knowlege we hold about the new language but which only very indirectly, if at all, contributes to our ability to comprehend and use language in real time.

So my message would be: have fun with mnemonics, but be realistic about how useful they are. Keep the focus on providing comprehensible input and communication, using whichever approach fits your context best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zaz - Si jamais j'oublie

My wife and I often listen to Radio Paradise, a listener-supported, ad-free radio station from California. They've been playing this song by Zaz recently. I like it and maybe your students would too. I shouldn't really  reproduce the lyrics here for copyright reasons, but I am going to translate them (with the help of another video). You could copy and paste this translation and set it for classwork (not homework, I suggest, since students could just go and find the lyrics online). The song was released in 2015 and gotr to number 11 in the French charts - only number 11! Here we go: Remind me of the day and the year Remind me of the weather And if I've forgotten, you can shake me And if I want to take myself away Lock me up and throw away the key With pricks of memory Tell me what my name is If I ever forget the nights I spent, the guitars, the cries Remind me who I am, why I am alive If I ever forget, if I ever take to my heels If one day I run away Remind me who I am, wha...

Longman's Audio-Visual French

I'm sitting here with my copies of Cours Illustré de Français Book 1 and Longman's Audio-Visual French Stage A1 . I have previously mentioned the former, published in 1966, with its use of pictures to exemplify grammar and vocabulary. In his preface Mark Gilbert says: "The pictures are not... a mere decoration but provide further foundation for the language work at this early stage." He talks of "fluency" and "flexibility": "In oral work it is advisable to persist with the practice of a particular pattern until the pupils can use it fluently and flexibly. Flexibility means, for example, the ability to switch from one person of the verb to another..." Ah! Now, the Longman offering, written by S. Moore and A.L. Antrobus, published in 1973, just seven years later, has a great deal in common with Gilbert's course. We now have three colours (green, black and white) rather than mere black and white. The layout is arguably more attrac...

What is skill acquisition theory?

For this post, I am drawing on a section from the excellent book by Rod Ellis and Natsuko Shintani called Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acquisition Research (Routledge, 2014). Skill acquisition is one of several competing theories of how we learn new languages. It’s a theory based on the idea that skilled behaviour in any area can become routinised and even automatic under certain conditions through repeated pairing of stimuli and responses. When put like that, it looks a bit like the behaviourist view of stimulus-response learning which went out of fashion from the late 1950s. Skill acquisition draws on John Anderson’s ACT theory, which he called a cognitivist stimulus-response theory. ACT stands for Adaptive Control of Thought.  ACT theory distinguishes declarative knowledge (knowledge of facts and concepts, such as the fact that adjectives agree) from procedural knowledge (knowing how to do things in certain situations, such as understand and speak a langua...