Skip to main content

New grammar booklets on frenchteacher

 Just to make you aware, whether your are already a subscriber, or a potential one (!), that I have been adding loads of new resources to my site, inlcuding, most recently, new 10-page GCSE (Higher) grammar booklets. These are made by ChatGPT, but edited and fine-tunedby me, because despite all my best prompts, I can't get quite what I want in terms of layout and level of challenge in the exercises.

My aim was to create a set of grammar booklets in line with AQA topic areas. So each set of exercises is themed aropund topics like education and work, free time, healthy living and so on. I also requested certain types of exercise, for example transformation drills, gap-fills, translation both ways, and question-answer. This is all pretty old school stuff and won't suit every teacher, but I'm certain many will find these resources useful as handouts for revision, extra work or exam prep. They suit Higher GCSE students aiming for between grades 5 to 8, I would say. They would be on the easy side for Grade 9, but could still work for them. You can always edit them of course, ot use the template to design further ones with AI. Just attach the document to your AI tool and ask it to use it as a template for a new resource.

I have now subscribed to ChatGPT for the main reason that it can churn out useful materials at speed, so it makes me more productive. I could equally have opted for Claude, Gemini, Mistral Vibe, Deepseek or others, but I had just got into the habit of using ChatGPT. I'm aware that some teachers will no longer subscribe to sites like mine since they can create their own resources so fast these days. I would say this, however: I always have to do some editing, using my skill and experience to tweak things to what I now classes will benefit from. I also have to choose the right prompts, check the language and fine detail of exercise design and layout. I also have a vast existing bank of resources that teachers trust. That's why so many schools and tutors subscribe year on year. £35 is not going to break the bank.

AI can do many things really well, but one area where I have not been able to make much use of it is for video listening resources. If there is an available transcript, I can potentially use AI, but mostly I work in the traditional way — watching, listening, transcribing where needed, and choosing the best exercises to go with the video. My site has many, many examples of worksheets based on online videos chosen for their interest, syllabus relevance and accessibility. I shall focus on this even more in the future.

So do check out all the updates on my site, along with the many testimonials teachers have sent me over the years.

https://www.frenchteacher.net/latest/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longman's Audio-Visual French

I'm sitting here with my copies of Cours Illustré de Français Book 1 and Longman's Audio-Visual French Stage A1 . I have previously mentioned the former, published in 1966, with its use of pictures to exemplify grammar and vocabulary. In his preface Mark Gilbert says: "The pictures are not... a mere decoration but provide further foundation for the language work at this early stage." He talks of "fluency" and "flexibility": "In oral work it is advisable to persist with the practice of a particular pattern until the pupils can use it fluently and flexibly. Flexibility means, for example, the ability to switch from one person of the verb to another..." Ah! Now, the Longman offering, written by S. Moore and A.L. Antrobus, published in 1973, just seven years later, has a great deal in common with Gilbert's course. We now have three colours (green, black and white) rather than mere black and white. The layout is arguably more attrac...

Zaz - Si jamais j'oublie

My wife and I often listen to Radio Paradise, a listener-supported, ad-free radio station from California. They've been playing this song by Zaz recently. I like it and maybe your students would too. I shouldn't really  reproduce the lyrics here for copyright reasons, but I am going to translate them (with the help of another video). You could copy and paste this translation and set it for classwork (not homework, I suggest, since students could just go and find the lyrics online). The song was released in 2015 and gotr to number 11 in the French charts - only number 11! Here we go: Remind me of the day and the year Remind me of the weather And if I've forgotten, you can shake me And if I want to take myself away Lock me up and throw away the key With pricks of memory Tell me what my name is If I ever forget the nights I spent, the guitars, the cries Remind me who I am, why I am alive If I ever forget, if I ever take to my heels If one day I run away Remind me who I am, wha...

What is skill acquisition theory?

For this post, I am drawing on a section from the excellent book by Rod Ellis and Natsuko Shintani called Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acquisition Research (Routledge, 2014). Skill acquisition is one of several competing theories of how we learn new languages. It’s a theory based on the idea that skilled behaviour in any area can become routinised and even automatic under certain conditions through repeated pairing of stimuli and responses. When put like that, it looks a bit like the behaviourist view of stimulus-response learning which went out of fashion from the late 1950s. Skill acquisition draws on John Anderson’s ACT theory, which he called a cognitivist stimulus-response theory. ACT stands for Adaptive Control of Thought.  ACT theory distinguishes declarative knowledge (knowledge of facts and concepts, such as the fact that adjectives agree) from procedural knowledge (knowing how to do things in certain situations, such as understand and speak a langua...