Skip to main content

Listen and translate. La Corrida by Francis Cabrel


This is a third post featuring songs I like and this one is a real favourite which I enjoyed using with A-level classes. If you don’t already know it, La Corrida is Francis Cabrel’s powerful song about the evil of bullfighting - the corrida. He brings a Spanish flavour, and even a little Spanish language, into the song. The music itself is dramatic in its ebbs and flows and, as usual, Cabrel’s voice and delivery make him a good source of language input.

So here is a translation into English which students would have to retranslate into the original French. It’s therefore a listen and transcribe task. Quite a challenge for a good class, and a possible alternative to gap-fill.

On a technical/pedagogical note, I often mention the importance of comprehensible input. When you provide a translation like this, the language is instantly understandable.


Since I’ve been waiting

In this dark chamber

I hear fun and singing

Down the hall 

Someone opened the lock

And I burst into the daylight

I saw the bands, the barriers

And the people all around


At first I believed

That you just had to defend yourself

But this place has no exit

I begin to understand

They closed the gate behind me

They were afraid that I would retreat

I'm gonna get him in the end

That ridiculous dancer ...


Is this world serious?

Is this world serious?


Andalusia, I remember

Meadows bordered by cacti

I won't tremble before this puppet, this midget

I'll catch him and his hat

Spin them like a sun

Tonight the bullfighter's wife

Will sleep soundly


Is this world serious?

Is this world serious?


I chased ghosts

Almost got their ballerinas

They struck me hard on my neck

So I would bow

Where do they come from, these acrobats

With their paper costumes?

I never learned to fight dolls

I feel the sand beneath my head

It's amazing how good it can be

I prayed that it would all stop

Andalusia, I remember

I hear them laugh as I groan

I see them dance as I succumb

I didn't think we could have so much fun around a tomb


Is this world serious?

Is this world serious?

(Spanish section)


Comments

  1. Great song by a very established French artist - an attempt of bringing back some form of "chansons Ă  texte", but maybe more accessible! I once (rather successfully) used Eddy Mitchell's "Il ne rentre pas ce soir" with a group of students https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s7oVSE7usQ&list=RDu1Qrt-V4qT0&index=3. The song is about a man who's just lost his job, and how he dreads going home for fear of breaking the news to his wife - and how, somehow, life stops for him! Sadly, a very current topic! Arnaud

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is the natural order hypothesis?

The natural order hypothesis states that all learners acquire the grammatical structures of a language in roughly the same order. This applies to both first and second language acquisition. This order is not dependent on the ease with which a particular language feature can be taught; in English, some features, such as third-person "-s" ("he runs") are easy to teach in a classroom setting, but are not typically fully acquired until the later stages of language acquisition. The hypothesis was based on morpheme studies by Heidi Dulay and Marina Burt, which found that certain morphemes were predictably learned before others during the course of second language acquisition. The hypothesis was picked up by Stephen Krashen who incorporated it in his very well known input model of second language learning. Furthermore, according to the natural order hypothesis, the order of acquisition remains the same regardless of the teacher's explicit instruction; in other words,

What is skill acquisition theory?

For this post, I am drawing on a section from the excellent book by Rod Ellis and Natsuko Shintani called Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acquisition Research (Routledge, 2014). Skill acquisition is one of several competing theories of how we learn new languages. It’s a theory based on the idea that skilled behaviour in any area can become routinised and even automatic under certain conditions through repeated pairing of stimuli and responses. When put like that, it looks a bit like the behaviourist view of stimulus-response learning which went out of fashion from the late 1950s. Skill acquisition draws on John Anderson’s ACT theory, which he called a cognitivist stimulus-response theory. ACT stands for Adaptive Control of Thought.  ACT theory distinguishes declarative knowledge (knowledge of facts and concepts, such as the fact that adjectives agree) from procedural knowledge (knowing how to do things in certain situations, such as understand and speak a language).

12 principles of second language teaching

This is a short, adapted extract from our book The Language Teacher Toolkit . "We could not possibly recommend a single overall method for second language teaching, but the growing body of research we now have points to certain provisional broad principles which might guide teachers. Canadian professors Patsy Lightbown and Nina Spada (2013), after reviewing a number of studies over the years to see whether it is better to just use meaning-based approaches or to include elements of explicit grammar teaching and practice, conclude: Classroom data from a number of studies offer support for the view that form-focused instruction and corrective feedback provided within the context of communicative and content-based programmes are more effective in promoting second language learning than programmes that are limited to a virtually exclusive emphasis on comprehension. As teachers Gianfranco and I would go along with that general view and would like to suggest our own set of g