Skip to main content

Quick review: Geoff Jordan’s 30 Key Concepts in Second Language acquisition

 Geoff Jordan is well known to some as an acerbic commentator on English Language Teaching (ELT) methodology. His blogs are well-informed and sometimes highly critical of individual scholars and teacher educators. This book is more measured in tone and provides a useful, clearly written introduction to 30 key concepts in second language acquisition research. (He explains in the text that he prefers the term ‘additional’ to ‘second’, but the title remains, probably because it is so widely used and understood.)

Jordan’s main starting point for the book is that most language teaching fails and does so because teachers do not know enough about what research says about SLA. So the book aims to rectify this.

Concepts covered include biggies such as explicit and implicit learning, comprehensible input, interlanguage, noticing, Universal Grammar versus Emergentism, aptitude, motivation, synthetic and analytic syllabuses. Other areas less familiar to many teachers include the social turn in research, acculturation, multi-competence, processability theory and contrastive analysis.

Each section offers a summary of research findings together with pedagogical implications. I found the former more useful than the latter, which are brief and of a very general nature. This book is more theoretical than practical.

For those familiar with Geoff Jordan’s writing, you will not be surprised to learn that his general view is that research supports the use of an analytic syllabus and task-based teaching in its strong form. He explains clearly why the traditional synthetic lego-style syllabus - piecing together with grammar rules the constituent parts of language (phonemes, words, word parts, phrases), building up the language bit by bit -  does not accord with research. He shares this belief with writers about pedagogy including Florencia Henshaw and Maris Hawkins in their Common Ground book, Lara Bryfonski and Alison Mackey in The Art and Science of Language Teaching and Bill VanPatten in his While We’re on the Topic.

That said, I liked the mention of the fact that many teachers working within synthetic/PPP syllabuses find ways to make lessons enjoyable by incorporating communicative tasks and to, as he puts it, accelerate acquisition.  I also appreciated his comment that teaching remains more of an art than a science. I liked the emphasis on the value of implicit learning over explicit instruction, and the space given over to interlanguage and developmental trajectories - in a nutshell, what we teach may not be what students acquire. This is generally not understood by teachers in my experience.

A concise book of this type is bound to deal with some areas more sketchily than others. I found the sections on UG and emergentism, noticing and input stronger than the sections on neurolinguistics and motivation, for example. He writes a bit about working memory constraints but did not get into Cognitive Load Theory, depth of processing and forgetting. Cognitive science merited more coverage, I think. In the motivation section he could have written more about Self-Determination Theory, especially the Competence component (similar to Bandura’s self-efficacy, surely a massive part of the motivation equation). Some teachers (including myself) may find the inclusion of the social turn, multi-competence, ZPD and acculturation a little marginal.

Overall, I found this a good introduction to key concepts, but teachers should not expect to see much pedagogy here. That wasn’t the brief. 

Maybe decision makers in my MFL world should take heed from books like this, as they plough on with their belief in ‘solid foundations’ and explicit instruction of vocabulary, grammar and phonics. 

Is Geoff Jordan right when he writes that most teachers get no grounding in SLA research? Partly, I think. My impression is that in England coverage is patchy on PGCE courses but teacher-mediators, including myself and Gianfranco Conti, have tried to make a difference. From the academic world writers like Michael Long, Patsy Lightbown, Rod Ellis, Paul Nation, Bill VanPatten, Florencia Henshaw, Lara Bryfonski and others have also wielded influence. There is still a way to go.


I read Geoff’s book on Kindle at a very reasonable £9.95.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longman's Audio-Visual French

I'm sitting here with my copies of Cours Illustré de Français Book 1 and Longman's Audio-Visual French Stage A1 . I have previously mentioned the former, published in 1966, with its use of pictures to exemplify grammar and vocabulary. In his preface Mark Gilbert says: "The pictures are not... a mere decoration but provide further foundation for the language work at this early stage." He talks of "fluency" and "flexibility": "In oral work it is advisable to persist with the practice of a particular pattern until the pupils can use it fluently and flexibly. Flexibility means, for example, the ability to switch from one person of the verb to another..." Ah! Now, the Longman offering, written by S. Moore and A.L. Antrobus, published in 1973, just seven years later, has a great deal in common with Gilbert's course. We now have three colours (green, black and white) rather than mere black and white. The layout is arguably more attrac...

Zaz - Si jamais j'oublie

My wife and I often listen to Radio Paradise, a listener-supported, ad-free radio station from California. They've been playing this song by Zaz recently. I like it and maybe your students would too. I shouldn't really  reproduce the lyrics here for copyright reasons, but I am going to translate them (with the help of another video). You could copy and paste this translation and set it for classwork (not homework, I suggest, since students could just go and find the lyrics online). The song was released in 2015 and gotr to number 11 in the French charts - only number 11! Here we go: Remind me of the day and the year Remind me of the weather And if I've forgotten, you can shake me And if I want to take myself away Lock me up and throw away the key With pricks of memory Tell me what my name is If I ever forget the nights I spent, the guitars, the cries Remind me who I am, why I am alive If I ever forget, if I ever take to my heels If one day I run away Remind me who I am, wha...

What is skill acquisition theory?

For this post, I am drawing on a section from the excellent book by Rod Ellis and Natsuko Shintani called Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acquisition Research (Routledge, 2014). Skill acquisition is one of several competing theories of how we learn new languages. It’s a theory based on the idea that skilled behaviour in any area can become routinised and even automatic under certain conditions through repeated pairing of stimuli and responses. When put like that, it looks a bit like the behaviourist view of stimulus-response learning which went out of fashion from the late 1950s. Skill acquisition draws on John Anderson’s ACT theory, which he called a cognitivist stimulus-response theory. ACT stands for Adaptive Control of Thought.  ACT theory distinguishes declarative knowledge (knowledge of facts and concepts, such as the fact that adjectives agree) from procedural knowledge (knowing how to do things in certain situations, such as understand and speak a langua...