Skip to main content

Simple pairwork verb retrieval tests

I've just uploaded to frenchteacher a set of five sheets the aim of which is to get students to practice of retrieving (buzzword alert!) verb forms. I have these in mind as a revision resource to help students internalise common verb forms in the perfect tense. I have focused mainly on first and third person. I added a few notes to advise teachers how they could be used. (UPDATE: I have now uploaded pairwork tests for five different tenses.)

Basically students are given a list of verb phrases in English which have to be translated into French by their partner. Each partner has a different set of verbs. Students take turns to ask the give the English, then the partner attempts an answer. If they get it right they get one point. The correct answers can be seen on the 'tester's' sheet.

You can see an example below. It's the first of five sheets, with many verbs being recycled across the five sheets. If you find this a bit too mechanical for your taste, you could suggest that students get bonus bonus points for adding a further element to their answer. So, instead of just responding Je suis allée, they could respond Je suis allée chez le médecin.

A simple retrieval practice idea, one which, in the example below, word work well with students working at GCSE Higher Tier. A really good Y9 class might be able to handle it.

Test your partner on perfect tense French verbs                       Partner A

English

Answer

English

Answer

I went

Je suis allé(e)

I wrote

J’ai écrit

I played

J’ai joué

I finished

J’ai fini

I listened

J’ai écouté

I started

J’ai commencé

I departed

Je suis parti(e)

We ate

Nous avons mangé

I drank

J’ai bu

We bought

Nous avons acheté

I took

J’ai pris

They went

Ils/elles sont allé(e)s

I had

J’ai eu

You were

Tu as été

She went out

Elle est sortie

You had

Tu as eu

He arrived

Il est arrivé

You took

Tu as pris

I bought

J’ai acheté

We reserved

Nous avons réservé

She bought

Elle a acheté

I continued

J’ai continué

We went

Nous sommes allé(e)s

We decided

Nous avons décidé

We played

Nous avons joué

You finished

Tu as fini

I heard

J’ai entendu

I chose

J’ai choisi

He decided

Il a décidé

They decided

Ils/elles ont décidé

 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

Test your partner on perfect tense French verbs                        Partner B

English

Answer

English

Answer

I visited

J’ai visité

You chose

Tu as choisi

I ate

J’ai mangé

I wanted

J’ai voulu

I spoke

J’ai parlé

I saw

J’ai vu

I arrived

Je suis arrivé(e)

He spoke

Il a parlé

I read

J’ai lu

They listened

Ils/elles ont écouté

I was

J’ai été

We saw

Nous avons vu

She returned

Elle est retournée

They played

Ils/ells ont joué

He went up

Il est monté

We took

Nous avons pris

I sold

J’ai vendu

You went

Tu es allé(e)

He went

Il est allé

You ate

Tu as mangé

We played

Nous avons joué

You finished

Tu as fini

We listened

Nous avons écouté

She started

Elle a commencé

I started

J’ai commencé

She visited

Elle a visité

I did

J’ai fait

I knew

J’ai su

She spoke

Elle a parlé

I fell

Je suis tombé(e)

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the natural order hypothesis?

The natural order hypothesis states that all learners acquire the grammatical structures of a language in roughly the same order. This applies to both first and second language acquisition. This order is not dependent on the ease with which a particular language feature can be taught; in English, some features, such as third-person "-s" ("he runs") are easy to teach in a classroom setting, but are not typically fully acquired until the later stages of language acquisition. The hypothesis was based on morpheme studies by Heidi Dulay and Marina Burt, which found that certain morphemes were predictably learned before others during the course of second language acquisition. The hypothesis was picked up by Stephen Krashen who incorporated it in his very well known input model of second language learning. Furthermore, according to the natural order hypothesis, the order of acquisition remains the same regardless of the teacher's explicit instruction; in other words,

What is skill acquisition theory?

For this post, I am drawing on a section from the excellent book by Rod Ellis and Natsuko Shintani called Exploring Language Pedagogy through Second Language Acquisition Research (Routledge, 2014). Skill acquisition is one of several competing theories of how we learn new languages. It’s a theory based on the idea that skilled behaviour in any area can become routinised and even automatic under certain conditions through repeated pairing of stimuli and responses. When put like that, it looks a bit like the behaviourist view of stimulus-response learning which went out of fashion from the late 1950s. Skill acquisition draws on John Anderson’s ACT theory, which he called a cognitivist stimulus-response theory. ACT stands for Adaptive Control of Thought.  ACT theory distinguishes declarative knowledge (knowledge of facts and concepts, such as the fact that adjectives agree) from procedural knowledge (knowing how to do things in certain situations, such as understand and speak a language).

12 principles of second language teaching

This is a short, adapted extract from our book The Language Teacher Toolkit . "We could not possibly recommend a single overall method for second language teaching, but the growing body of research we now have points to certain provisional broad principles which might guide teachers. Canadian professors Patsy Lightbown and Nina Spada (2013), after reviewing a number of studies over the years to see whether it is better to just use meaning-based approaches or to include elements of explicit grammar teaching and practice, conclude: Classroom data from a number of studies offer support for the view that form-focused instruction and corrective feedback provided within the context of communicative and content-based programmes are more effective in promoting second language learning than programmes that are limited to a virtually exclusive emphasis on comprehension. As teachers Gianfranco and I would go along with that general view and would like to suggest our own set of g